Sunday, August 3, 2008

Junebug 5013


Junebug 5013
Originally uploaded by Brian Kuhl

Yes, it’s been a while, but I thought I’d start back up. The primary reason for this is that I’ve gotten several new toys, one of which is a 50mm f/1.4 Nikkor lens. For those that don’t know, this is a film lens (which can be used on a digital body) to get great photos. The low f-stop gives the blurry background. I was able to get this picture of my brother’s cat, which my mother loves. I have to admit that I do like it, even though the top of the ears are cut off.

I’m not so sure I’ll be taking more pictures of her in the near future, as I got a bite on the hand from her for my efforts. I’m not sure if it’s that she was upset by the flash or if she just likes biting people. It might be a bit of each. (For the record, I had the flash pointing up towards the ceiling.)

I’ve been able to get a similar photo of my cat, Pepper. The lens is great for portraits, but I have to stand back a lot farther than I’m used to with the 28-90 lens. The part about this lens that I like is that you can get the blurry lens. I’ve also noticed that I don’t have to use a flash a lot of times. (That’s another advantage of a low f-stop.)

I’m hoping to post a photo or two a week. I’ve also got a new memory card that I’m testing out which is supposed to put the location of the photo into the EXIF data, but I haven’t gotten that to work very well yet.

No comments: