Monday, January 28, 2008

Arch Creek 2283


Arch Creek 2283
Originally uploaded by Brian Kuhl


I had a chance to go to the Arch Creek Park today and take some pictures. I even had a few that turned out pretty well, like the one I’m posting today. This was mostly an attempt to test out the Sigma 10-20 lens that I bought last week.

The distortion is visible with things that are easy to judge, like grids, boxes and faces. For things like grass, it doesn’t show up so much. It’s also odd looking through the viewfinder, then taking it away. From what I’ve read, the angle is somewhere around 102°. That’s pretty good.

If you’re thinking it’s a great way to get a picture of someone without them knowing, bear in mind that you do notice distortion in the corners. The trouble with a lens that wide is that it‘s going to be a fisheye or close to it. Yes, you can correct for this, but it’s not always that easy. I’ve been messing around with a few pictures and some turn out better than others.

It’s also an f/4-5.6, which means that it’s not so good for indoor shots. Here, it’s at 5.6. I got some nice lighting from outside, but it still came out a little dark. (The onboard flash didn’t help much, which is why I should make my next investment an SB-600.)

I’d like to go to some other area parks to get some more shots. Depending on my days off and the Miami weather, I may do just that. I just have to make sure to bring someone with me.

No comments: