Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Do cool photographers use a polarizer indoors?


trees against sky 1770
Originally uploaded by Brian Kuhl
Here’s a picture I took in my back yard. I was trying to see what a circular polarizer could do. For those that don’t know, a polarizer acts like sunglasses for your camera and reduces glare. A circular polarizer rotates so that you can change the amount of polarization by rotating the outside of the lens.

Here, I was able to put the sun behind the trees. I got a nice silhouette effect from it and the sky looked a little darker. Without the circular polarizer filter, the sky would have looked a lot bluer. (Click on the picture and check out the surrounding photos.)

A circular polarizer definitely has its uses, especially here in Miami. The sun can be very bright. I’d live to get a chance to really try it out. I think this weekend, I’m going to go to a local park and see what I can do. I ordered a new lens, but it probably won’t arrive by then. I can always hope, though.

No comments: