Friday, November 30, 2007

The cat's meow


pepper's face 0275
Originally uploaded by Brian Kuhl
Before I went on vacation, I had been testing out my lens. The best subject I had was my cat, Pepper. I desperately wanted to try out a macro lens that I had just gotten and I couldn’t think of any better way to test it out than taking pictures of my cat.

If you take a look at the photos that I posted with this one, you’ll see that I made several attempts with varying degrees of success. (I also posted one that I had taken earlier when Pepper was waiting at the door.) This one is my favorite of Pepper’s face.

The light half is in focus while the dark half isn’t. You’re still drawn to her eyes. You kind of wonder what she’s looking at, especially when you consider that cats usually seem very interested in what you’re sticking in their faces.

Fortunately, she’s past the stage where she swats at things. Yes, this is why I keep UV filters on both lenses, but I’d prefer not to have to replace them at all.

Cats are very difficult to photograph. I have plenty of pictures of her tail and stomach when I was trying to take pictures of her face. I have lots of pictures of her walking out of the frame. I even have a few attempts with her not in the frame at all.

I’ve found that in photography, success tends to come with failure.

No comments: